Louisville Personal injury lawyers
Experienced Personal injury attorneys serving jefferson County, KY and The surrouding areas
At Hodge & Smither, our Louisville personal injury attorneys have more than 32 years of combined experience helping clients seek the justice they deserve after they have been hurt in an accident. Specifically, we represent clients in cases that involve bicycle, car, truck, or semi-truck accidents, as well as slip and fall accidents.
Although it is possible to pursue personal injury claims without the help of a lawyer, hiring us for your case gives you access to our wealth of experience, skill, and resources. We also offer free consultations for potential clients, which means it costs nothing to discuss the specifics of your case, and we can show you how we could be the right choice for you.
Reach out to us online or call today at (502) 383-5590 for a FREE consultation with our experienced Louisville personal injury lawyer.
I highly recommend you look no further for all your legal needs.
“Becky has both represented and assisted me on various matters, and has proved to be proficient, understanding, and capable of navigating complex situations.”
The case results turned better than expected!
“Mr. Hodge worked with me on a case recently, a very understanding, knowledgeable, easy to speak with and professional gentleman. The case results turned better than expected and I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
I cannot recommend enough.
“I have used Jonathan Hodge for a number of things. Everything that he has done for me has been professionally handled and has turned out far better than I could have expected.”
Louisville personal injury lawyers helping you Protect Yourself After an Accident
Protecting yourself after an injury starts from the moment of the accident. While our Louisville personal injury attorneys will do all they can for your case to get the outcome you deserve, there are simple ways you can help us help you.
Here are three important things to do after an accident:
- Record all that you can from the accident:
- Videos, pictures, and even your own written account of the accident and how it happened can serve as crucial evidence in a personal injury case. If you have been injured, do not delay.
- Take out your phone’s camera and pick up a pen as soon as possible.
- Be sure to document how you felt after the accident, making note of any ongoing physical pain or stress and how either has affected your everyday life.
2. Get information from anyone else involved in the accident or from the establishment where it occurred:
- Aside from keeping your own records, there are other ways to document official details about your accident.
- For any kind of accident with a vehicle, for instance, be sure to get insurance and contact information from the other person involved and file a report with the police.
- For an accident at a business, see that you speak with or contact their management and request to submit a report about your accident to them.
3. Contact your doctor or visit a medical clinic for care:
- You should not put off getting the medical attention your injury needs.
- Seeking medical help can also provide official evidence of the injuries you sustained and their severity, which we can use in court.
With any questions, contact our experienced Louisville personal injury lawyer by calling (502) 383-5590 today.
How Long Do I have to File a Claim in Kentucky?
You can easily file a legal action against a reckless individual in Kentucky by referring to KRS 413.140(1)(a). According to this section, the accident/injury must be reported within one year of the date of the accident.
Personal property injuries are subject to a two-year statute of limitations. If you file a lawsuit after an injury in Kentucky, you should act quickly to ensure your case is successful. You may lose your claim if you do not file a lawsuit within the specified time frame.
It is imperative to commence proceedings as soon as possible, perhaps in the hospital, since your memory will be fresh and you will be able to make an accurate claim. For help with this, be sure to contact our Louisville personal injury lawyer as soon as possible to get started with your claim.
The Statute of Limitations for Personal Injuries in Kentucky
The timeline for the statute of limitations for your injury depends on the circumstances. For accidents that involved another vehicle, individuals generally have two years to file their claim. Slip and fall accidents or other types of injuries sustained on government properties cannot be filed more than 60 days after the incident. For majority of other cases, you typically have a year to file a claim.
Regardless of where the incident happened or how, it is best to not wait. Consulting one of our attorneys soon after your accident can help us build a solid foundation for your case and help it get settled faster.
What Damages Can Be Recover in a Personal Injury Claim?
Damages is a legal term that refers to the compensation recovered in a personal injury claim. While the specific amount an injury victim can recover in their claim process depends widely on the specifics of their case, the types of damages an individual can pursue remain the same across all personal injury cases. These types of damages are:
- Economic damages
- Non-economic damages
- Punitive damages.
Economic damages, as the name suggests, compensates injury victims for the financial losses associated with their injuries. These expenses typically include medical expenses or missed days at work. Non-economic damages compensate the injured party for the non-financial suffering associated with their injury.
These losses are more abstract and can be difficult to quantify without the help of an experienced attorney. Typically, non-economic damages include pain and suffering, or mental anguish. Punitive damages are the last type of damages offered to injury victims and is also the most rarely award. Different from the first two categories, the purpose of punitive damages is to punish the negligent party instead of compensating the injured party.
To speak to a Louisville personal injury lawyer, contact us online or give us a call at (502) 383-5590 for a free consultation today!
We Fight to Recover the Damages You Deserve
When our team of personal injury attorneys successfully settles a case, our clients receive “damages,” a legal term for the money they might have spent or lost because of their injury. At Hodge & Smither, we work hard to get our clients every last dollar they deserve and need to recover from their injury.
Here are some of the damages we can help you recover:
- Missed income or compensation for a decrease in earning capacity
- Compensation for the effects of emotional and physical pain
- Money spent on medical care
- Compensation for loss of consortium, which is a term used to describe when a relationship is significantly altered because of the results of an accident
If you have been injured in an accident, you might be wondering what the outcome of your case could be. You might also be wondering whether litigation is worth it. Although pursuing damages in court takes time and can be difficult, our Louisville personal injury lawyers will do everything in our power to make it worth it for our clients.
Let us help you recover the damages you are owed. Call us today at (502) 383-5590 or contact us online for a FREE consultation with our Louisville personal injury lawyer.